Friday 6 December 2013

I bit of an introduction, I guess

We're experiencing a world full of transition at the moment, and one of the areas taking huge hit is healthcare. This is not just a localised issue. Globally, healthcare is a point of contention and is often used as a tool by political parties to gain favour during elections. In the UK, the NHS is criticised almost daily by journalists, government officials and the public.
I honestly believe that this country does not realise how lucky it is to have this free healthcare service.
Well until they go abroad and come back with a hefty bill having broken a limb or two.

But this is not why I have started this blog.

...Well, it's not the main reason.


Nursing is something that I fell into by accident.
I always wanted to be a writer.
But honestly, where I live it's hardly the most lucrative of career prospects - no matter how idealistic it sounds to sit on a moor contemplating life, the universe, and everything.

Anyway, I digress.

I'm writing the blog because I think I need an outlet.
Going from being a student nurse (who to a certain extent is not wholly responsible for a group of patients) to becoming a staff nurse in charge of 8 patients of my very own, is worlds apart from what. I could have expected, and there is nothing I could have done or anything that the university could have provided to prepare me for the reality of being a nurse.
I also think that it will benefit others - whether they are newly qualified, about to qualify or for those who have been qualified for years - to know that someone is going through the same thing.

I don't want anyone to misread or misunderstand.
I love my job.
But as a student you are sheltered and "mummy-ed" to a certain extent. Then as soon as you're wearing that blue uniform and your PIN has come through, it doesn't matter how supportive the staff are around you, or how much knowledge, experience or confidence you have developed during your training - it is all on you, and it is TERRIFYING.

I finished university at the end of August, and started my job in the middle of September.
My PIN did not come through until the end of October (naturally, it arrived during a weeks annual leave) so I had a good few weeks where I was under supervision, which greatly helped me in getting into the routine of the ward and getting to know all my new colleagues.

I've been "on my own" now for a month, and every shift I am SO SO scared to make a mistake.
I am lucky enough to be employed by a Trust that runs a years preceptorship. Once a month all the newly qualified nurses and overseas nurses meet up, discuss how we are all progressing and take part in "lectures" that help us develop into our new roles.
Once a month, we meet up and rant at our poor course leader... And whoever happens to be speaking that day.


Anyway, I shall leave my rambling for now.
But I want to assure you, oh wonderous readers, that this blog is 100% confidential to protect myself, my patients and the Trust I work for.

So for now, I bid you adieu.
All the best :)


No comments:

Post a Comment